We'll Meet Again - VE Day Celebrations at the People's Palace and Wintergardens, Glasgow.
1 May 2010
1pm-4pm - Entry Free
See pictures and video clips from the day >>
This May, The People's Palace in Glasgow will go back in time to 1945. The War in Europe has just been won and it's time to put on your dancing shoes and join in the celebration.
Learn how to Dance to big band classics from That Swing Sensation with the help of Fly Right Dance Company.
Discover Rationing as the wartime shopping experience is brought to life but watch out for Big Billy and Sanshoe Stef.
If you are not worn out by all of the dancing you can have a go at some traditional games in our back court or make your own flags to take the celebration home.
|Gary & Susan from Fly Right Dance Company at the Buttercup Dairy with Jon & Alice from That Swing Sensation
Picture courtesy of Rob McDougall (www.robmcdougall.com) and Museums Galleries Scotland (www.showscotland.com)
The day's highlights include:
- Live interpretation in the Buttercup dairy shop – where 1945 comes to life - find out about rationing and living in the war years.
- Object handling of WW2 artefacts from the Open Museum.
- Creative activities for young visitors where they can help make bunting for the party or a flag to wave.
- Wartime Beauty – demonstration of the products used to make ladies beautiful from a time when cosmetics were hard to come by.
- Black Market – live interpretation showing the seedier side of wartime shopping where extra rations were always available from less reputable sources.